Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Red Rangers


Well the new batch of chicks are here!  Actually, they've been here for almost a week, I've just been so swamped with stuff that I haven't had a chance to talk about them.  Man, are they cute!  After taking a mob of chickens all the way to the freezer, I have to admit, the ending stuff sort of squelches my desire to raise chickens again.  It's hard work, and the in-your-face intimacy of taking down your own dinner can be hard on the tender soul.  So even by the time we plan and order chicks, I'm usually not mentally ready yet.  Then the box of peeping little fluff balls arrive, and it's all good.  Did I mention how stinkin' cute they are?

So I'll bore you with a few facts and then get onto the good stuff:  pictures!
  • We ordered 65 Red Ranger chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries out of Ohio.  Unfortunately, we have a limited time frame for butchering and were unable to get them from our good buddies at Jenks Hatchery in Oregon by the time we needed.  Jenks remains our go to source for quality chicks. 
  • I'm pleased with the communication and fast shipping from Mt. Pleasant - chicks were shipped on a Wednesday afternoon, and we got the call to come pick them up from our P.O. at 5 a.m. Thursday morning.  (I know, 5 a.m.???!?  I think they must get perverse pleasure out of calling folks that early).  
  • 67 were shipped and one died in transit so there are currently 66 happily ensconced in the nursery.
  • Once they've feathered out, we'll move them outside to the chicken tractor.  Since the tractor is designed to hold about 50 birds, they'll eventually outgrow it, at which point, we'll put them on a fenced "pasture" in one section of our yard.  Stay tuned for shelter building and fencing fun.

Nursery set-up, pre-chick

Introduction to the water source


Dinner time! Notice the color variation between chicks

Under the hoover



No comments:

Post a Comment