Friday, January 4, 2013

My Whole30 Challenge

from the Whole9 website

As I mentioned in my New Year blog post about resolutions vs. intentions, one of the intentions I've purposed for myself this year is to make healthier choices, and for me this means making getting back on the primal-paleo bandwagon.  For the most part I feel like I do a good job with my nutrition but let's just say the holidays kicked a hole in my otherwise good diet: too many little trips into the world of bread, a bit too many sweet treats and an overindulgence in dairy have left me feeling sluggish and not on my best game.  Thus the need for better health choices and my commitment to clean eating for the month of January by participating in the Whole30 Challenge.

What is a Whole30 you might ask?  Basically it's eating paleo for 30 days:  lots of lean meats, vegetables, vegetables, vegetables, vegetables, healthy oils such as olive and coconut, nuts and seeds, and limited amounts of fruits.  Eating these foods in the whole, unprocessed form is best. In addition, foods that can have a negative impact on your health should be avoided: grains of all kinds, legumes, dairy and sugars.  For a full rundown of the program see the Whole30 website.  For me, since I already eat a primal diet (usually), this means dialing back on the dairy (good-bye, cheese *sniff, sniff*) and eliminating primal-approved sweeteners such as maple syrup.  It also means I'm putting away the brand new ice cream maker I got for Christmas.

There are many excellent websites out there for advice, recipes and encouragement if you're interested in embarking on a Whole30 now or in the near future.  Here are a few of my favorites:

  • The Official Whole30 January 2013 website - basic information, helpful hints, lots of support (also several ways to get extra help ~ if you're willing to pay for it, that is).
  • Nom Nom Paleo's Whole30 - one of my fav paleo bloggers, love her recipes and her slightly irreverent take on life.
  • The Clothes Make the Girl - Melissa Joulwan has a rocking blog full of lots of great recipes and authentic honesty.  Her Well Fed cookbook is also totes awesome.
  • Danielle at Against All Grain is also participating in the January Whole30 Challenge and will undoubtedly whip up some tasty recipes to share (see her Banana Nut Porridge from today ~ know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!)
  • You can also check out my Pinterest board for several paleo-primal recipes and resources.



No comments:

Post a Comment