Saturday, January 26, 2013

Finishing the Whole30 challenge with a Bang... and thinking about the next steps


So here we are in the final days of the January 2013 Whole30 challenge - how ya feeling?  Has it been as good for you as it has for me?  Or have you spent the last almost 30 days pining away for some food favorite?  For myself, I've felt eating super clean paleo has been a good experience and while I don't notice any difference in the fit of my clothes, I am experiencing better overall health, more restful sleep and more energy.  I just feel better than I did at the end of December.  Now if I could just shed those five pounds gained while on antibiotics I'd be in full-on nirvana-like bliss.

As far as personal food pining, richly delicious dark chocolate rests at the top of my list ~ actually the whole lists consists primarily of dark chocolate in all its various glorious forms.  That and the creamy goodness of raw milk cheese.  (Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin.)  Even so, I won't be making any major changes to how I'm currently eating.  For the past year and a half, I've eaten a primal diet, and as I come off this Whole30 I will be returning to that eating style.  Which is basically the same as what I'm doing now.  Minus the dairy.  And the chocolate.  You see the pattern.

As you're looking ahead to the potential consumption of some presently forbidden food, keep in mind finishing off with gusto.  You've been in disciplined food marathon so end with style!  Now is also the time to start planning ahead about how you're going to handle your eating choices post-Whole30.  Here are a few thoughts to contemplate:

  1. Don't go overboard.  You've been eating clean for 30 days and are probably experiencing some of the health benefits of those choices, so don't just chuck it out the window in an all-out food orgy.   Take it slow, add foods back in gradually and monitor how your body responds.  You may find there are some foods that you should just avoid as a matter of course.
  2. In all things moderation.  This goes hand in hand with #1.  Keep in mind if you felt this good without consuming something for 30 days, it might not be wise to make said food your number one dietary choice.  
  3. Plan ahead.  Just like getting ready for the Whole30, wisdom suggests planning ahead for post-Whole30.  How do you envision your eating style to change (or not)?  What can you do to prepare?  Should you really load your cupboard with beer, fake cheese-in-a-can and chips?
  4. Honor thyself.  You've taken good care of your body these past 30 days as you've made healthy, whole foods choices and added more movement to your life.  And I'm sure your body has said a great big thank-you.  So how can you continue to honor your body by making good food choices and continuing to move?  What aspects of the Whole30 are you going to take away?
  5. Staying the course.  Maybe this has been such an amazing and life-changing experience that you're not going to change anything.  If you've decided you're a paleo/primal convert, then congratulations!  The Internet contains a whole host of excellent resources including discussion forums, recipes and information to help you along the way.  Make the most of your new lifestyle and get the support you need.

Regardless of how you decide to handle post-Whole30 life, take a moment to savor the accomplishment.  Well done!



No comments:

Post a Comment